WELCOME “A paradise where the earth rises again, fertile and green.”
Midgard Country Estate is located 85 km (one hour) north-east of Windhoek, and only 70 km from Hosea Kutako International Airport, in the unspoiled Otjihavero Mountains. An ideal family hide-away, first or last stop for international visitors and the perfect venue for intimate meetings, team-building events or weddings. Carl List, the founder of the Namibian Corporation, Ohlthaver & List, acquired Midgard Country Estate in 1937. His son, Carl Werner List, farmed the 12 000 hectare estate, developing this private and intimate world into a household name in Namibia.
Today our guests are invited to enjoy the tranquility, while marveling at the pioneering German Settler spirit which gave birth to it all. “Midgard”, a word found in Old Norse, Middle English and High German languages, has varying meanings, but is popularly thought to mean “A paradise where the earth rises again, fertile and green, creating a protected world and a safe empire for the people”.It’s an intimate world of its own. One which offers 46 newly decorated and fully equipped rooms, Carl’s Dining Room & Bar, the African Boma, two swimming pools, the Pool Bar & BBQ Terrace, gym and sauna, and private skittle alley (kegelbahn). These are all spaciously situated in a sprawling country garden, bordering the banks of the Swakop River, as it meanders through the estate on its way to the Atlantic Ocean.
Activities and Aattractions:
Guests can soak up the ambience and enjoy doing absolutely nothing; or explore hiking and mountain trails, drive along 4×4 tracks, play volley ball, tennis, table tennis or outdoor chess, stargaze and view our vintageautomobile collection.
One of the estate’s major attractions is a sundowner drive to Hilltop, where guests can enjoy a stunning 360° view over the Otjihavero Mountains and watch the sun set with sundowners in hand. They also get to experience what life was like on a traditional Namibian Farming and Game
Estate in years gone by, with a morning or afternoon nature game drive through the separate 2 000 hectare nature reserve, along the Swakop River. Wildlife found here includes giraffe, blue and black wildebeest, oryx, kudu, hartebeest, eland, warthog, baboon and smaller antelope species such as the steenbok. The riverfront is a
GOOD tO KNOW:
• Midgard Country Estate is wheelchair-friendly
• Children of all ages are welcome
• Check in time: 14h00
• Check out time: 10h00
• No pets are allowed, with the exception of guide dogs
Facilities and services :
• Free Internet Wi-Fi access in rooms and public areas
• 2 Swimming pools
• Children’s pool
• Carl’s Dining Room
• Carl’s Bar
• Pool Bar & BBQ Terrace
• Laundry and valet service
• Gym and sauna
• Conference Centre
• Walking and hiking trails
• TV room
• Satellite TV with 8 channels
• Air conditioning
• Tennis court
• Table tennis
• Kiddies’ play/artroom and playground
• Fourlane skittle alley (kegelbahn)
• Mountain walking trail
• Amphitheatre (up to 300 guests)
• Sun viewing and stargazing with an astronomer
• Vintage car display
• 4×4 Trails (self-guided and with own vehicle)
• Beach volley ball
• Outdoor chess
• Professionally guided nature/game drives
1 x 9 seater open-air Toyota Land Cruiser
1 x 21 seater Mercedes-Benz
Forty-six rooms with views overlooking the swimming pools, the gardens, the courtyard or the mountains, situated in separate farm style one and two storey buildings in the large gardens.
• 36 Standard rooms
• 5 Luxury rooms
• 5 Standard family rooms
• Luxury rooms include: 1 Honeymoon Suite with mini-fridge, lounge and private balcony
Family accommodation — children sharing with parents:
• Standard rooms: 2 adults + 1 cot or 1 child (3 – 12 yrs) in extra bed
• Luxury rooms: 2 adults + 1 cot or 1 child (3 – 12 yrs) in extra bed
• Standard family rooms: 2 adults + 2 children (3 – 12 yrs) in extra beds
All rooms feature:
• En-suite bathroom with shower or bath
• Air conditioning
• Electronic door locks
• LCD television with 8 satellite TV channels
• Free Internet Wi-Fi access
• Room safes
• Tea/coffee station
Wining and Dining:
Carl’s Dining Room Offering country-style comfort, “home” cuisine with a Namibian touch, during breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Dining at night includes a buffet or three course set menus, with three selections per course. At lunch there is either an à la carte menu, or depending on occupancy, a special buffet. Meals are also served al fresco on terraces or under trees. The African Boma. On certain nights dinner, consisting of a traditional Namibian Braai/BBQ, is served in the open-air boma.
The Pool Bar & BBQ Terrace: Open dependant on season, occupancy and weather. Serves drinks and snacks as required.
• Breakfast mealtimes: 06h30 – 10h00
• Lunch mealtimes: 12h00 – 14h30
• Dinner mealtimes: 18h30 – 22h00
Alternative private dining venues:
• In the garden under the trees — buffet (20 – 100 people)
• Pool Bar & Terrace — BBQ/braai(20 – 100 people)
• On the estate — Hilltop BBQ/braai(20 – 100 people)
• African Boma — traditional African BBQ/braai (20 – 100 people)
• Private banqueting/conference rooms — buffet meals (20 – 80 people)
• Bali Boma — open thatched roofed pergola for BBQ/braai or buffet meals (50 – 120 people)
Bars are open daily:
Carl’s Bar with private TVand Pool Rooms: 10h00 – 23h00;
Service Bar: 10h00 – 22h00; Skittle Alley & Bar — on request and/or: 18h00 – 23h00; Pool Bar & BBQ Terrace — dependant on weather and demand: 10h00 – 22h00
AdditiOnal Facilities and Services:
• Secure parking for cars and coaches
• Petrol station (petrol 95 and diesel)
• Outsourced chauffeur driven transport servicesbetween Midgard and Windhoek City, Eros Airport and International Airport, from 3 seater SUVs to seater luxury coaches
• Carrental facilitation — from Windhoek
• Medical doctors/nurses — ±60 minute drive away in Windhoek
The estate is open for day visitors from 08h00 – 22h00 daily. Breakfast, lunch or dinner reservation is mandatory to gain access
From April – September: 15 – 25 °C
From October – March: 25 – 35 °C
Time zone From 1st Sunday in April to 1st Sunday in September: GMT+1 (Winter). From 1st Sunday in September to 1st Sunday in April: GMT+2 (Summer)
Children: Children of all ages are welcome, but should be under the care of a parent/guardian at alltimes
Communications: Cellular, landline and Internet Wi-Fi communication exists
Forms of payment:
American Express, Diners Club, MasterCard and Visa
Credit Cards accepted. Cash in Namibian $, Euro, US $, GBP and South African Rand accepted
There are a variety of venues to choose from for groups ranging from 20 – 150 people, depending on the function and preferred seating style.
• The Amphitheatre: An outdoor venue that can seat up to 300 people
• Lawns with undercover spectator areas: For teambuilding and sporting activities Conference equipment and catering available
•Data projector and screen
Nearby places of interest:near:
Okahandja Craft Market — 60 km
Windhoek City — 85 km
Von Bach Dam — 55 km
Estate directiOns and access:
Midgard Country Estate is situated 85 km (±1 hour) northeast from Windhoek, and about 70 km from the Hosea Kutako International Airport.
From Windhoek on the B6 towards the International Airport: Take the M53 turn off at Kapps Farm (±20 km). Continue along the gravel road until the road intersects with the D2102, there you will turn left. Travel 55 km along the D2102 until you reach Midgard Country Estate on your left. Allow ±60 minutes travelling time.
From Windhoek on the B1 towards Okahandja: Turn right onto the D2102 and continue on the gravel road until you reach Midgard Country Estate on your right (±59 km). Allow ±90 minutes travelling time.
From the Hosea Kutako International Airport: Turn right at the Neudamm Agricultural College onto the D2102. After ±7 km continue straight across the intersection onto the D2102. Travel 55 km along the D2102 until you reach Midgard Country Estate on your left. Allow ±80 minutes travelling time. From Okahandja: On the B1 turn left onto the D2102 and continue on the gravel road until you reach Midgard Country Estate on your right (±64 km). Allow ±45 minutes travelling time
For accommodation in Tzaneen this is the place to be ... in the heart of the north eastern Lowveld ...
Bay And Go Tours - Mount Kilimanjaro climbing, Wildlife Adventures (Safaris), Zanzibar Beaches, and Kenya Safaris!
Machame trail 7 Days Kilimanjaro climb: Machame 7 Days is a good hike for 7 days via Machame route ...
Malawian Style is company that initially started offering South Luangwa as a value for ...