Samara “Interested in making a real difference to conservation”
Want to get more out of your holiday? Interested in making a real difference to conservation? Keen to see a new side to Samara?
Then why not join our Wildlife Volunteer Programme! Our programme provides the opportunity to immerse yourself in wildlife research and conservation management and assist with community development and environmental education, all the while experiencing life within Samara’s heart-stoppingly beautiful landscape.
Get involved with:
• Cheetah behavioural studies: track Samara’s best-loved cats on foot and record prey, habitat and behavioural data crucial to their conservation.
• Vervet monkey research: join university students from around the world recording the daily lives of these habituated primates to gain insight into their adaptations to the Karoo environment.
• Vuyani Safe Haven: having established a relationship with Vuyani back in 2010, our volunteers continue to support the abused and orphaned children through playdates, environmental excursions and fundraising.
• Rhino anti-poaching: learn about the threats facing one of Africa’s greatest icons and participate in
monitoring work vital to their protection.
• Tracker Academy: Samara is home to the SA College for Tourism Tracker Academy, which trains 16 young people per year in the ancient science of tracking. Engage with the trackers and help them develop the English skills vital to their post-graduation jobs in ecotourism.
• Not to mention land rehabilitation, spekboom planting, soil erosion control, hiking, camping, braais around the campfire, and the thrill of witnessing conservation in action.
Programme dates are flexible, and your stay can last from 2 weeks to 6 months. Upon departure you will receive a certificate signed by Professor Graham Kerley, Director of the Centre for African Conservation Ecology, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University.
Come get your hands dirty in a unique South African experience!
Testimonials from past volunteers:
‘It is said that travel enriches your soul, creates long lasting friendships, gives you adventure and teaches you new skills. For me, Samara ticked each of these boxes and more’ – L. W.
‘I had a great time at Samara. I never thought I could learn so much in 3 weeks. The people running the program were welcoming and more importantly passionate about their work. I was in tears the day I left and I can’t wait to go back one day!’ – A. G.
‘I left Samara at the end of my stay with tears in my eyes, feeling part of a family of dedicated, enthusiastic and committed people’ – A. M.
For more information and a list of programme dates, please visit samara.co.za/volunteer or email email@example.com< Contact Mel to join @ African Travel Solutions