The Selous experience – the crown jewels of Tanzania with African Travel Solutions Ltd
The Selous experience – the crown jewels of Tanzania
• The Selous Game Reserve is larger than Switzerland and Africa’s largest game reserve, in this vast wilderness of over 50,000 square kilometres there are under 20 lodges
• The Selous is very raw, rugged and wild and tourism is very low impact– you cannot compare it to northern Tanzania as the bush and experience is very different
• It’s regularly called the crown Jewels of Tanzania due to its wildlife, history and experiences
• The Selous is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and has international importance as a wildlife sanctuary
• Its vastness is its beauty with meandering rivers cutting through the diverse landscapes
• The Selous has Africa’s largest elephant, buffalo, crocodile and hippo populations, as well as great numbers of lion, giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, bushbuck, eland, greater kudu, leopard and antelope. It is also the best place in Africa to see the very rare African wild dog, over 30% of Africa’s wild dog roam these wild and rugged landscapes. Additionally it is one of the most important sanctuaries in Africa for the very rare black rhino.
• Year round it is a birders paradise with over 400 bird species recorded in the Selous.
• Game viewing is an adventure – the Selous isn’t a zoo – it’s a reserve where the animals are still truly wild. With Azura’s expert guides you follow tracks deep into the bush looking for animals, each drive is different and you embrace the adventure!
• As it’s a game reserve you can off road and participate in walking and boating safari’s
• Most of the guests are honeymooners, adults having a romantic safari break or families
• Access to Azura Selous is very easy, just 5 minutes from the Sumbazi airstrip (Upper Selous) and an hour flight from Dar es Salaam.
• This is a slow safari and easily accessible combination with the Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Tarangire and Manyara and whilst its remote there is very easy access from Dar and Arusha and to Ruaha / Zanzibar and northern Mozambique
Some key facts on Azura Selous:
• One of the best things about Azura Selous is the location, it’s a 4 / 5 hour drive away from the other Selous lodges and offers very exclusive private game viewing where you won’t see another vehicle from start to finish. This is real raw, rugged and authentic Africa!
• Game driving around this stunning landscape feels like a private concession and makes each experience feel very special
• The lion population in this part of the Selous has really grown since the lodge opened in 2010, there are now over 40 lion in the area around the lodge
• Azura Selous offers the most luxurious tented accommodation in the Selous and is a complete one off, there is nothing like it in southern Tanzania in terms of its concept and design – please see the photo’s
• 12 large air conditioned luxurious tented villa’s with custom made oversized beds, with opulent stone bathrooms with inside and outside showers and terraces with plunge pools all overlooking the magnificent river
• The interiors of the lodge are very different to everything else in southern Tanzania, Azura Selous is safari chic and very different to other lodges in its style and decor – the villa’s are all animal themed bringing the outside inside, there are monkey, zebra and elephant villa’s – please see the photo’s
• The service is warm, welcoming and personal – you are looked after individually and taken great care of
• Stunning location over looking the rapids of the Great Ruaha River with resident hippo’s
• Private dining in beautiful locations that vary at each meal time, a varied and exciting menu with main course choices awaits you at each meal time
• The best pool in the Selous with views over the river and passing wildlife
• The only lodge in the Selous with a dedicated children’s programme, accepting children from 6 upwards (children aged 6 – 16, 50% of the adult rate and 4 nights for the price of 3)
• Spa treatments available on your decked terrace overlooking the river listening to the hippo’s
• Brand new and very comfortable custom made 4 x 4 open game viewing vehicles
• Walking safaris with professional and expert guides
• Birding expeditions
• Boating excursions (when the river is high enough)
• Fishing in the river – have your catch cooked for dinner!
• Bush dinners, breakfasts and picnic bush lunches
• Stunning locations for sun-downers overlooking the river
• Varied topography – each game drive takes you to a new and different area
• All accommodation is on an all inclusive basis
• 5 minutes from the Sumbazi Airstrip
• Eco-friendly, the only lodge in the Selous with its own waste water treatment system so all water is recycled
For more of an insight into the exciting and varied game viewing in the area, please see the video
See what guests are saying on Trip Advisor
Maximise great value 2015 season rates of 600 USD pppn standard season and 825 USD pppn in high season (excluding park fees).
4 night stays in 2015 are available from 1800 USD pp (rack rate plus park fees)
Azura Selous has some great offers