Orange Grove Farm
Orange Grove Farm is a working wine and olive farm situated in the heart of Robertson’s valley of wine and roses. The farm is less than two hours from Cape Town and is the ideal place to relax and rejuvenate.
Nestled at the foothills of Babbedasberg which forms part of the Langeberg Mountains, Orange Grove Farm is surrounded by majestic rock formations, crystal clear waterfalls, and an abundance of fauna and flora. This is a place where guests can discover the wonders of nature, choose from a vast range of outdoor activities, or do absolutely nothing but inhale the beauty, and succumb to the peace, quiet and tranquillity.
Our luxurious self-catering cottages are named after the areas where the owner mined diamonds, and each has a unique story to tell. They combine comfort and beauty, offering a setting in which to linger and relax. Each cottage is fully serviced daily by our friendly staff, leaving you only to concentrate on unwinding and enjoying the magnificence of your surroundings. Your private veranda and swimming pool provides a relaxing vantage-point to take in spectacular mountain views, the overwhelming sound of silence, and the truly prolific bird life. At night the crystal clear sky, and no artificial lights, will spectacularly display the breathtaking canopy of our southern stars. It will simply take your breath away.
Our units are located far enough from each other so as to provide maximum privacy for our guests. Access to each is via your own private road.
If you are looking for a romantic, elegant country setting, personalized service and the comforts of home, visit Orange Grove Farm. We look forward to welcoming you to Wouterspan Lodge, Longlands Cottage and Mosesberg Cottage.
WOUTERSPAN LODGE: (SLEEPS 6)
This charming, three-bedroom house with en suite bathrooms, exudes warmth as creamy yellows and contrasting earth tones create a simple elegance, while the numerous windows capture the morning sun, beautiful views and crisp fresh air. A fully equipped kitchen with fridge freezer, microwave, stove and oven provide everything you need for your stay.
From the open plan lounge and dining area, a patio door opens onto the spacious veranda with braai, outside dining area and swimming pool. The main bedroom has a king-size bed and upstairs you have a choice between a queen size and double bed. The main bathroom provides a separate shower and bath, wide mirror and lavish twin basins. Each bedroom is outfitted with a dressing table, headboards and side tables with ample cupboard space. The upstairs lounge offers a bar fridge as well as a second TV.
MOSESBERG COTTAGE: (SLEEPS 2)
This private oasis of comfort is situated high up on a ridge surrounded by an olive grove and pristine fynbos. The cottage has magnificent 360 degree views of two valleys, mountains, olive groves and vineyards.
Ochre and cream colours create a warm, romantic atmosphere. Curl up in the queen size bed or, relax next to the fire on the welcoming couch or enjoy the sunset on the stoep with a glass of wine or take in the breathtaking vistas from your private swimming pool. From your fully equipped kitchen / dining area you step out onto an undercover outside dining area with built in braai and the Langeberg Mountains as your backdrop.
LONGLANDS COTTAGE: (SLEEPS 4)
Both spacious and cosy, this two bedroom cottage with en suite bathrooms, creates a warm and inviting setting for the perfect country escape. Large windows provide excellent views of the garden, veld and olive orchard surrounding the double story cottage.
Cosy chairs provide the perfect reading spot in front of the fireplace, or linger on the patio while enjoying some sparkling wine in your private pool. The main bedroom has a king-size bed and the top bedroom has two single beds which can be joined together to make a king size bed.
EACH COTTAGE’S AMENITIES INCLUDE:
• Private verandas overlooking the vineyards, olive groves as well as pristine mountains fynbos
• Private swimming pool
• Under cover built in braai area
• Under roof parking
• Fully equipped kitchens with fridge/freezer, oven/stove, microwave, cutlery, crockery, kettle, toaster and braai equipment
• Living area with Plasma TV and DStv
• Crisp white down duvets and soft sheets
• Fluffy towels, hand soap and body lotion
• Electric blankets for winter season
• Coffee, tea, sugar & milk
• Flashlights & candles
• Fresh Flowers
The deep calm of the silent hills provides a healing balm for the soul, and sweeping vistas of the Langeberg Mountains provides a space for the spirit to simply ‘be’. The sounds of birdsong and trickling water will relax you as you linger alongside the river and swimming pools. Or simply wander among indigenous gardens, veld and fascinating rock formations, carved out over centuries. To experience the best of the farm and surrounding areas, you are invited to combine a variety of activities:
Challenge your fitness levels and enjoy one of our four hiking trails:
• The Peerboom Dam trail is a relatively easy self-guided 1-2 hour hike on a mountain ridge where you meander through unspoilt fynbos, and in season guests will view masses of wild flowers and numerous flowering protea species. There is also a picnic spot on the trail with breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains.
• The Droe Kloof trail is a more strenuous 4-5 hour hike taking you over a series of mountain ridges where the floras of the Karoo, Renosterveld and high mountain vegetation come together. The trail crosses a wild unspoilt part of Orange Grove Farm and has numerous fantastic vantage points offering magnificent 360’ views of the Langeberg, from Robertson all the way to Worcester. Take a picnic hamper and enjoy lunch at the rest site half way along the trail. As the name implies there is no water on this trail so be sure to take along plenty of drinking water.
• The Smuts Kloof trail is a slightly more challenging workout for seasoned walkers and you will be accompanied by an experienced guide. This hike takes you past numerous rock pools where you can see the endangered Breede River Red Fin fish, and crosses the river several times. Here guests may refresh and swim in crystal clear mountain water, encircled by towering rock formations, with the spray of a waterfall just a few feet away. This magical setting is perfect for savouring a light private picnic, before heading back to your cottage. The entire route takes about 3-4 hours or alternatively Guests can opt for a 45 min walk to the rock pools for a morning or afternoon of swimming and relaxation.
• The Rooikrans Kloof Trail trail takes you through a narrow kloof known as Naald se Oog, along a crystal clear mountain stream which you traverse several times. Here at the foot of the Langeberg you will be surrounded by towering red mountain crevices and magnificent flora. Walking through the forest of Rooi Els, Cape Holly and Yellow Wood trees the trail ends at a magnificent waterfall where you can enjoy a picnic lunch before heading back to your cottage. The entire trail takes 2-3 hours.
Bring along your own bike or use one of ours and enjoy the numerous gravel roads on the farm and the surrounding area.
For the fit and seasoned mountain bikers we have the 8km Kortkloof trail which takes you up a lovely valley through magnificent proteas and fynbos over a mountain pass descending down into Rooikrans kloof. The Diepkloof trail is 20km and offers experienced riders an unbelievable view of numerous kloof, valleys and mountain ridges.
Both these trails will form part of the 2012 Cape Epic and should only be attempted by fit and experienced riders.
• Take a stroll along the vines and orchards on the farm.
• Explore the dirt roads on your mountain bike.
• For the less energetic, Orange Grove Farm provides a perfect retreat for painting, writing, photography and reading.
• Birding – we have more than 150 species and many varied habitat types that will keep you really busy.
• Star gazing: The cloudless nights provide a brilliant night sky for all enthusiasts.